Tools, Training, and Guidance Resources for Flour and Rice Fortification
Several tools and training programs are available to help promote, plan, implement and monitor sustainable grain fortification programs.
Select the item below to see more information. These resources are in English unless otherwise noted.
- Birth defect surveillance includes a manual for program managers and an online, self-paced course for health professional or other interested individuals - English, Español, Français
- Case studies offer lessons from fortification programs in Iran, Chile, Indonesia, South Africa, Ireland, and New Zealand.
- Communications tools for food fortification advocacy include a general advocacy toolkit as well as a toolkit specifically for use by people advocating to prevent brain and spine birth defects in Africa.
- Cost:Benefit workshops estimate the cost of implementing fortification programs compared to the economic benefits.
- Documents for fortification legislation, standards, and monitoring often miss key items. Use this checklist to review your materials - English, Française, Russian, Español.
- Flour Millers Toolkit is a set of PowerPoint slides with basic fortification implementation information for wheat and maize flour millers – Arabic, Chinese, English, Française, Russian.
- Fortification Monitoring is online training for flour and rice fortification. It teaches the basic concepts of internal, external, import, and commercial monitoring.
- FortifyMIS (Management Information System) is an online data collection and aggregation approach for fortification monitoring.
- Fortification Monitoring and Surveillance (FORTIMAS) is an approach for tracking the population coverage and impact of a food fortification program – English, Française, Português.
- Introductory Training to Micronutrients and Food Fortification is a remote training program that provides an in-depth analysis of key micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) and staple food fortification processes.
- Rice Millers Toolkit describes the process to blend fortified kernels with milled, non-fortified rice to produce fortified rice. It describes the equipment required, how to integrate it in a typical rice milling facility, and important quality control aspects.
- Standards and guidance documents are available to help determine nutrients and levels of nutrients to include in fortified grains. A policy guidance document is also available. Multiple languages.
- Summary documents highlight the evidence for fortifying food with essential vitamins and minerals.
- Survey Toolkit includes resources to help assess and monitor vitamin and mineral deficiencies. It will keep you from having to create new tools for every micronutrient survey.
For additional information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations to FFI help us develop training tools such as these and train national leaders to use them.
Our training workshops often include field trips to mills to see fortification in practice, such as this event in Kosovo. In addition to workshops, training is available via online classes and remote learning sessions. Other tools are available to download for your use.